The theme for the NYSDEC 2018 5th Grade Arbor Day Poster Contest is “Trees for Bees.” 5th graders are invited to submit original artwork incorporating this theme to help celebrate Arbor Day. Please review contest rules before submitting (they are also below).
The poster competition begins at the local elementary school level. Each school’s winning entry is then entered into a regional judging event. Nine regional champions are chosen and from these a final, statewide winner is selected who will be invited to celebrate at the State capitol in Albany and have a tree planted in their name at their school. Various other prizes are awarded to the statewide winner and their school. The New York State winner also receives the honor of having their artwork replicated as the NYS Arbor Day bookmark, which is distributed to schools and libraries all over the State. Approximately 2,000 students from around the State participate each year.
By participating in the annual Arbor Day poster contest, students learn about the importance of trees and how they affect the health and well being of our environment and the quality of life in our communities.
Arbor Day Poster Contest Rules
New York State Arbor Day Poster Contest Rules
- Submit entry by designated deadline of January 5, 2018 to your NYS Regional DEC Office.
- Each school should select a school winner and submit the original poster with the School Winner Report Form (PDF, 165 KB).
- All entries must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in the fifth grade. A student may enter the contest only once.
- Entries must be done on paper with sufficient clarity to allow for duplication, display, and framing. The final winner’s artwork will be printed on the NYS Arbor Day bookmark and also made into a children’s poster to be distributed statewide.
- The student’s first and last name must be written or signed in the lower right- hand corner on the front of the poster.
- a) Entries may be done in marker, crayon, paint pens, watercolor, ink, acrylic, colored pencil, and/or tempera paint.
b) Collages are not acceptable. (Do not glue anything on your poster.)
c) Computer or photo generated art and/or printing is not acceptable.
d) Entries should not display the names of commercial products, companies, or organizations.
- Entries must be no smaller than 8 ½” x 11″ and no larger than 14″ x 18.”
- The poster must be related to the contest theme in some way. The theme: Trees for Bees must be on the poster. All words must be spelled correctly.
- Entries should not be matted, mounted, laminated, framed, or folded.
Tips for a winning poster:
- Use eye-catching colors but in moderation.
- Write clearly.
- Artwork must be reproducible on a bookmark.
- Science & Art teacher collaboration are encouraged.